Le Bon Vent
Le Bon Vent
Le Bon Vent, the good wind, is a celebration of the music of France and the lands touched by French culture. When this wind blows, a song in Medieval French dialect might mingle with a New England dance tune, a rootsy Mazurka from the Limousin region may be accompanied by instruments from North Africa and the Middle East, or a set of pieces from the Court of Louis the XIV could find their way into a jazzy Parisian Waltz. With an ear for improvisation and experimentation, the music of Le Bon Vent is both traditional and contemporary, described by Radio Espace Musique of Montreal as "a fresh spring breeze that pleasantly ruffles our feathers." The members of the group, all celebrated musicians in folk, classical, and jazz idioms, come from across the United States to bring their collective breath to this ensemble.
Formed in 2003 by acclaimed Vermont accordionist Jeremiah McLane, Le Bon Vent has received grants from the Vermont Arts Council and has presented concerts at The Flynn Space in Burlington, Vermont, The Intercultural Institute of Boston, The Blackstone River Theater in Rhode Island, and featured at the Maison de la Culture in Montreal, Quebec, a concert broadcast live across Canada on Canadian Public Radio.
- Cristi Catt
- Ruthie Dornfeld
- James Falzone
- clarinet, whistle
- Adam Larrabee
- guitar, mandolin, mandocello
- Taki Masuko
- Jeremiah McLane
- accordion, piano, vocals
Original compositions form members of the ensemble, works by French composers Joseph Cantaloube, Cesar Frank, and Eric Satie; Provencal Dawn Songs, songs sung in dialects from the Limousin and Auvergne regions, traditional Breton Dance music, Gypsy Jazz, Valse Musette, and music drawn from New England’s own Franco-American heritage.
“From the Kings Court to the Cajun Kitchen” Explores the progression and development of French Music from 13th Century France to contemporary music practice in North Africa, Europe and North America.
- Le Bon Vent is a member of the performing arts collaborative New England Music & Stage Co. Ltd.
- Jeremiah McLane is a faculty member at the State University of New York, Plattsburgh, NY.
- James Falzone is a faculty member of North Central College, Naperville, IL.
- Cristi Catt and Taki Masuko are faculty members at the Longy School of Music, Cambridge, MA.
- Vermont Arts Council, for the creation of new work
- Anne Slade Frey Charitable Trust, creation of promotional materials
- Gadd Merril Fund, in support of public performances
- Rotary Sunrise Grant for the Arts to support 2-day residency at North Central College.
- Amazing Things Arts Center, Framingham, MA
- Blackstone River Theatre, Cumberland RI
- Chandler Music Hall, Randolph, VT
- Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL
- Club Passim, Cambridge, MA
- Eclipse Grange, Thetford, VT
- Espace Musique, Maison de la Culture, Montreal, Quebec
- Flynn Space, Burlington, VT
- Intercultural Institute, New England Conservatory, Boston, MA
- Longy School of Music, Cambridge, MA
- Middle Earth Music Hall, Bradford, VT
- Morse Center for the Arts, St Johnsbury Academy, St Johnsbury, VT
- Naperville College, Naperville, IL
- New World Festival, Randolph, VT
- Northfield-Mt. Hermon School, Gill, MA
- Saint John’s Episcopal Church, Portsmouth, NH
- Strafford Town House, Strafford, VT
- Vergennes Opera House, Vergennes, VT
- Woodstock Town Hall Theatre, Woodstock, VT
Visit the Le Bon Vent website